You can now pledge impact on an ad-hoc basis with a simple CSV upload.
This article covers:
- How to use the CSV template
- How to format your CSV file
- How to upload your CSV file
- Use cases
How to use the CSV template
Our template consists of sequential steps, each with a dedicated Sheet:
- Instructions — provides an overview of how the CSV template works
- Example — contains example pledges so you can familiarize yourself with the correct format
- Enter your data here — input the pledges you'd like to make
- Export this sheet as a CSV — export this sheet; it fills in automatically after you’ve entered your data in Sheet 3
How to format your CSV file
1. The correct format
It’s crucial to correctly format your CSV file, otherwise your pledges may not be processed as you intend. Once you’ve entered your data, it should look like this:
Here’s a breakdown of each column and the information required:
- Customer first name — enter the name of the individual you’d like to assign the pledge to, the way you’d like it to appear on their impact timeline.
- Customer email — enter the email address of the individual.
- Date – enter the current date in DD/MM/YYYY format.
- Type of impact — select a type of impact from the dropdown. The current options are TreePlanting, OceanPlastic, or CoralPlanting.
- Quantity of impact — enter the quantity of impact you’d like to assign to a given pledge.
- Item name — enter a suitable name for your pledge, based on what it’s associated with, e.g. ‘Gift’, ‘Wholesale Order’, or ‘Reward’. Otherwise, default to ‘Pledge’. This will show up on the individual’s timeline.
- Item image — enter an image address URL for the pledge (this will show up on the recipient's timeline).
2. Understanding units of impact
Each impact type has a specific unit:
- Tree planting — 1 unit = 1 tree
- Ocean-bound plastic recovery — 1 unit = 1 kg*
- Coral reef restoration — 1 unit = 1 “patch” of 25cm2
For detailed pricing information, please refer to our pricing article.
*The value in Sheet 4 is 1,000 times greater because it’s converted into grams — this is expected.
How to upload your CSV file
1. Navigate to the Impact Orders tab in the side-menu
Within the Verdn Shopify app, click on the Impact Order tab in the side-menu:
2. Open the CSV upload modal
Click on the Create Manual Impact Orders button in the upper right:
3. Upload your CSV file
Drag your CSV onto the drag-and-drop upload box, or click the box to select a file from your computer:
4. Process your CSV file
Once your CSV file has uploaded, click the Process File button to process your pledges:
5. You’re all done!
Nice one! If you’ve formatted the CSV file correctly, the pledges will fill out in the Impact Orders tab that you’re currently in. This may take a moment.
The beauty of our CSV upload feature is that you can attach impact to anything! Here are some examples to get you started:
1. Adding impact to past orders
Occasionally, you may wish to retrospectively add impact to past orders. Or you may have forgotten to add impact to your new SKUs, and already sold a few items before realizing. In cases like this, the CSV upload feature can come in really handy.
Here are some steps to follow for guidance, although your exact use case may vary:
- Lookup and filter the relevant range of orders in your Shopify orders menu
- Download the filtered range of orders
- Download our CSV template
- Fill out the CSV template using the data from your orders download:
- Add your customers’ first name and email to the CSV template
- Add the name of the purchased product in the itemName column, and paste the link to a product screenshot in the itemImage column
- Copy over the quantity of products purchased into the impactAmount column
- Select the relevant impact type, per product
- Note: if a customer purchased several products and you want to add impact to each product, you can add a new row per product with the same customer details, in chronological order.
- Upload the CSV as per the instructions above in this article
2. Rewarding customers with impact
You may wish to reward loyal customers or incentivize certain actions with impact pledges, such as newsletter signups or review submissions.
For example, here’s a guide to reward newsletter signups in Klaviyo with impact:
- Navigate to Klaviyo and filter newsletter signups for a given time period
- Download the list of newsletter signups
- Download our CSV template
- Fill out the CSV template using the data from your list of signups
- Decide the impact pledge you’d like to reward customers with
- Use our CSV upload feature to process your pledges as per the instructions above
3. Boosting your company’s impact
You may wish to amplify your company’s sustainability efforts by adding single line entries with your founder/employee’s own email address:
Note: if you wish to add ocean plastic recovery in bulk, don’t forget to use multiples of 1000. An impactAmount entry of 1000 equals 1 kg, while an impactAmount entry of 1,000,000 equals 1,000 kg (or 1 metric tonne).
4. Other ad hoc pledges
You may wish to attach additional impact to certain collections or campaigns, or pledge a certain amount of impact every month – this feature accommodates it all!
Any impact that is processed via the CSV upload feature will be added to your Company Impact Profile and your Impact Counters as usual.
Thanks for reading!