Top level statistics and info
- As of late August, 2020, there have been 24 million confirmed cases of coronavirus, over 15.5 million confirmed recoveries, and 820,000 deaths, worldwide.
- The COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund was set up to give individuals, companies, and philanthropies alike the ability to directly support the World Health Organization’s and partners’ efforts to track and understand the spread of the virus; to ensure patients get the care they need and frontline workers get essential supplies and information; and to accelerate efforts to develop vaccines, tests, and treatments.
- So far the Solidarity Response fund has raised $233 million, of which $191 has been distributed to the various partners of the fund, including the WHO (71%), WIF (10%), and UNICEF (5%).
- Examples of how far donations can go:
- $1 can help the WHO purchase 37 surgical masks for health workers
- $5 can help the WHO purchase 115 pairs of gloves for medical exams
- $10 can help the WHO purchase 3 protective hooded coveralls for health workers
How Verdn facilitates donations to the Solidarity Response Fund
As opposed to with Verdn’s partner organizations, Verdn has not integrated technically with the UN Foundation or WHO. As such, we are not able to provide accurate tracking of specific donations to the Solidarity Response Fund – although we are in dialogue with the UN about setting this up. For now, the tracking dashboards we generate for COVID are more limited in nature, and the information we provide is more general. The dashboards can still serve their purpose as a customer engagement tool and source of information, although it cannot be used to track exactly where the specific money has gone.
Copy suggestion for a product page
When you buy this product, we will make a $3 donation to the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund, enough money to help the World Health Organization purchase 112 surgical masks for health workers. The donation is facilitated by Verdn, and you will be able to explore various ways your donation might be put to work after buying the product.
Copy suggestion by the UN Foundation, edited by Verdn
[Company Name] has watched as the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has spread to many countries around the world, taking a toll on both health systems and economies. We are proud to announce that each sale of [Product Line] comes with a donation to the COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund to support the World Health Organization’s and partners’ efforts to detect, prevent, and respond to the COVID-19 pandemic around the world.
Key messages, written by the UN Foundation
- Diseases don’t respect borders and we will only beat this pandemic by working together – across countries, communities, and sectors.
- There’s never been a more urgent time to support a strong global response. That’s why the World Health Organization exists, that’s why the United Nations exists.
- WHO is leading and coordinating the global response, ensuring all countries can prevent, detect, and respond to the pandemic, especially where needs are greatest.
- Right now there are real concerns about:
- Healthcare workers who face shortages of personal protective equipment and critical equipment to do their lifesaving work without putting their own health at risk;
- Vulnerable countries and communities that could be particularly badly hit;
- Speeding up progress towards a vaccine that everyone can get.
- The COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund was started by the UN Foundation and Swiss Philanthropy Foundation at the request of WHO. It is the only way for individuals and organizations to directly contribute to WHO’s global work to defeat COVID-19.
- Donations support:
- Helping to track and understand the spread of the virus;
- Ensuring patients get the care they need, and frontline workers get essential supplies and information;
- Helping countries, especially those with fewer resources, expand their healthcare capacity and reduce the impact of the virus, particularly amongst the most vulnerable.